Erosion and Sediment Control (preparation for IECA CPESC examination) NSW (Blue Book)
Four one day professional development workshops for practitioners in Erosion and Sediment Control, based on Volume 1 of Managing Urban Stormwater: Soils and Construction (Landcom, 2004) (the “Blue Book”). Together the workshops cover the theory required for the International Erosion Control Association (IECA) examination for Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC). Examination candidates need to know both the theory and its application in a practical context.
Workshop 1 (one day): Fundamentals of Erosion and Sediment Control
Workshop 1 provides training for people responsible for the selection, construction and maintenance of temporary and permanent erosion and sediment control measures.
- The Theory of Soils and Soil Conservation
- How, When and Why to use various Erosion and Sediment Control Products or Practices
- Tips for conducting Inspections of Erosion and Sediment Controls on Sites
- Real-world Examples of Reading and Understanding Erosion and Sediment Control Plans
Workshop 2 (one day): How to use the Blue Book
This workshop gives a broad overview of the material contained in the “Blue Book”. It introduces RUSLE, the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation, as a tool for assessing erosion risk at a site under different management conditions.
- Site Assessment and Site Planning
- Effective Methods of Erosion and Sediment Control
- How to Manage and Inspect a Work Site for Erosion and Sediment Control
Workshop 3 (one day): Water Management on Construction Sites
Workshop 3 trains those responsible for the selection, design or review of temporary and permanent erosion and sediment control measures on urban construction sites. Workshop 3 is geared mainly for consultants who prepare and regulators who review Soil and Water Management Plans.
- Theory and Application of Water Management on Construction Sites
- How to Size and Design Sediment Basins
- How to Design Catch Drains and Diversion Structures
Workshop 4: (one day) Preparing and Reviewing Plans for Soil and Water Management
Workshop 4 trains personnel responsible for the identification and design of temporary and permanent erosion and sediment control measures on construction sites and for their delineation on a plan. It pulls together the information presented at Workshops 1, 2 and 3, and is a practical application of the work undertaken at the earlier workshops.
- Theory of Plan Preparation
- How to Prepare a Plan with a Guided Practice Exercise
- How to Prepare a Plan Using Local Examples
- How to Review Soil and Water Management Plans and Erosion and Sediment Control Plans